Admin
Topic starter
(@admin)

Virtual Town Hall Meeting with Hon. Ajani Owolabi

Topic Tags
42 Replies
Hon. Ajani Owolabi
(@honajaniowolabi)

Welcome everyone. My name is Ibrahim Ajani Owolabi and I am a member of the Lagos State House of Assembly representing Lagos Mainland 1. I am here to answer whatever questions you may have on governance.

Esther Ngwudo
(@estherngwudo)

Good morning Sir. Thank you for doing this. It is a welcome development. 
My question;

What are the roles of a state representative?

2 Replies
Hon. Ajani Owolabi
(@honajaniowolabi)

@estherngwudo Good morning, well role of a state legislator are to deliberate and consider laws on the concurrent and the residual lists.

we have no ability to consider laws on the Executive list these include things like security, natural minerals and so on and so fourth

Esther Ngwudo
(@estherngwudo)

@honajaniowolabi Thank you for the reply

Ramota Ajibowu
(@ramotaajibowu)

Good morning Honourable. I will like to know if there are there measures to keep elected officials, in your case, house representatives, in check?

2 Replies
Hon. Ajani Owolabi
(@honajaniowolabi)

@ramotaajibowu Well interesting question we have the Rt. Hon speaker first and foremost, we also have the Code of Conduct authority that establishes our financial status before entering service and tracks our earning and assets over that period. We are also subject like all Nigerians to scrutiny by the EFCC.

Ramota Ajibowu
(@ramotaajibowu)

emeka okenwa
(@okenwaemeka1993)
How do you carry constituents along in decision-making process?
1 Reply
Hon. Ajani Owolabi
(@honajaniowolabi)

@okenwaemeka1993 It is important to first know what is within our purview to make decisions on, I personally have committees for any personal pet projects in my constituency made up of well meaning citizens living and working in the area. When it comes to lawmaking however we have a mandate by the constitution AND our own House of Assembly rules that a public hearing must be held for each amendment or new law we deliberate on, in the hallowed chamber

Page 1 / 5
Share: